Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day eleven

I'm spending the night at the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort and Campground at the west end of the Cherohala Skyway. I found it by accident. Just rode past it on the way to a motel that someone told me was out here in the middle of nowhere. I'm in a cabin the size of my bedroom at home...two twin beds, a window a/c unit and a ceiling fan. I'm tapping into the owners wireless Internet (with permission of course) to do my update. It's a nice place. Of course, it's "off season" being the middle of the week, but it's only $40 a night. Here is the website if anyone is headed out this way and needs a nice inexpensive place to stay.

Gustov won. No pics today. It was raining too much to get the camera out. I rode all the way across Mississippi and half way across Alabama before I got out of the rain today. The bike handled well. My new Frogg Toggs look like hell, but I stayed dry for the most part. My Helen Two-wheels bags kept all my clothes dry. So how did Gustov win you ask?

My Zumo exploded. Well...not exploded exactly. More like blew the fuse, and then wouldn't work anymore even with the fuse replaced. The touch screen seems to be shorted out. Talk about a rude awakening! I had to get out a map! Usually, I just tell Zumo where I want to go, and it takes me there. Half the time, I don't even know what road I'm on! I'm not kidding. I'm a Zumo junkie. I got lost in Chattanooga more than once. Missed the exits, etc. I had to face the facts. I'm Zumo dependant.

So, as I'm looking for the ramp to get back on the highway, I see a yellow sign in the distance. It says, "Best Buy." Yep...I did. I had to get another Zumo. There's no way I could enjoy the rest of this trip with out it.

I'm keeping an eye on Hanna. After riding for 2 days in a row in Gustov, I have NO desire to go through Hanna. If it looks bad, I'm going to abort the east coast. After all, I did that last year. Besides, after having to buy a new Zumo, I pretty much blew the remainder of my budget for the trip.

Right now, I'm leaning toward heading to Virginia and then for home. Although if Hanna turns further west, I'll just skip Virginia and go home.

Only 391 miles today.

Mileage for the trip: 5,852

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Zumo, tough break. Just for the record there is an A in Gustav. Continue to be safe my friend.

Anonymous said...

Lucky us - you braved the threat of Hanna and came anyway. Wet OR cold is more than I want to handle. I would have given up by now.

Joan