Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day ten

I left Wichita this morning when it was still dark, but not by much. Within a half hour, the sun started peeking out from the horizon. And since I was riding East, it was a little bit of a challenge. Unfortunately, that challenge didn't last nearly long enough.

I kept changing the radio over to the weather station to keep myself updated on Gustov. The more you know, the better prepared you can be. Like....when would I have to stop and don my rain gear? How strong were the winds? Things like that. It seemed that I may have actually out run a hurricane!

As I crossed into Missouri, the blue sky started to become scarce. More and more clouds were building. The further I rode, the cloudier it got.

Just before I crossed into Arkansas, it started to rain. Not very heavy. What we used to call "a nice soaking rain" that would water the grass.

After about an hour of rain, it just stopped. I needed gas, so I pulled into the Kum and Go gas station. I did need the fuel, but the name is what made me stop at that particular station!

Just what the heck are they selling there?!?!?

As I finished filling up the bike, a couple pulled in on an old Harley to get gas. They both looked like they were rode hard and put away wet. I nodded at them and said hello. I guess that they thought that was an invitation to come over and tell me their life story!

I felt bad because as they started speaking to me, I realized that NEITHER one of them had ANY teeth. After that initial shock wore off, I had to mentally stop and figure out what language they were talking in. It was English...sort of. It had a totally unbelievable southern dialect to it. I've lived in Texas, and this was nothing like that. I looked at the plate on their bike to see where they were from. Arkansas. They were really a nice couple. But I think I only got about 20% of the conversation. I just smiled and laughed when I thought I was supposed to. And when I heard a statement end in what I thought was a question, I just said, "You know, I'm not sure..."

They're probably sitting at home tonight updating their blog saying that Yankees are so dumb, they can't understand plain English....

About 10 miles after I left the Kum and Go, it started raining again. And it hasn't stopped YET.

I'm in Olive Branch, MS (just south of Memphis, TN) for the night. As Forrest Gump would say, "My best good friend" from high school lives down here, and I had very nice visit with him and his wife over a stuffed crust pizza at the Hut.

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express. It was the 6th hotel I tried before I got a room. The evacuees from Gustov are filling up all the local hotels. In fact, when I was on the way back to the room after dinner, I rode up in the elevator with more pets than people. As I type this, I hear at least two dogs barking down the hall. It's a good thing I'm not a light sleeper!

I don't think I'll be able to catch Louisiana. Gustov is hanging on too long in these parts. Since I'm not going south, I won't be getting Florida, either. So far, all the other states are still a go. But I'm going to be keeping a close eye on all of those other tropical storms out there.

Since my route is changed up a bit, I should be at the south end of the Dragon tomorrow night.

Mileage for the day: 586
Mileage for the trip: 5,461

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave thanks for dinner and the visit. It has been a long time, but as always it is great to see old friends. Have a safe ride today and till the end of this adventure. I just checked radar and looks like you should be out of the rain later today. Be safe and no more battles with "road rage". Thanks again for the visit.

Hopper said...

Hey Dave,
Don't ya just love meeting all the different folks across the country:)

Stay safe,
Hopper