Monday, September 1, 2008

Day nine

Three words to describe today: Long, Hot and Boring. I'm on the west side of Wichita, KS in a cheap motel with no internet access. I am again on my Sprint Broad Band card with only two bars signal.

I'll make this short and sweet. I'll post some pics and more "story" tomorrow night. I was going to try an Iron Butt ride today (1000 miles in 24 hours) but I didn't prepare for it since I only decided it after I did 500 miles. At about 700 miles, I made a poor decision when I got pissed off at a line of 6 cars/pickups/SUVs behind a semi truck doing 20 MPH below the speed limit. No one would pass the semi. so...I passed 'em all at once. I didn't have a problem, but I was doing about 125 MPH when I got around the last one. I made sure to honk my air horn as I went around all of the vehicles in case they decided to grow a pair and actually try to pass. Not smart, I know.

Then about a half hour later, the passenger in a car in front of me threw out a cigarette and it actually hit me in the right arm. I recognized the symptoms of Road Rage, but I didn't care. We were on the expressway, so I went around them on the left, then flashed my brake light to make them go around me. That placed the passenger right where I wanted her. She rolled her window down and called me some names because I made them go around me, and I told her "Thanks for the F&$kin Cigarette But!" and pointed to the black mark on my bright yellow jacket sleeve. She actually looked embarrassed. My work is done here, I thought.

But then they got in front of me and slowed down. Enough of this crap, and I was about to downshift and test the power plant properly when they got off at the next exit. The windows went down and 4 arms came up with the one finger salute. Ok...bad decision number two in less than an hour. Time to call it a day.

Mileage for the day: 762
Mileage for the trip: 4,875

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really need to work on your people skills,lol. Now be a "good" and play nice with the other kiddies. Your still the same, after all these years. Be safe my friend.

Anonymous said...

Good judgment for deciding to abort the Saddlesore. If your head isn't in the game you need to call it off and try again another time.