Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day Five

No pictures this post. I'm in Jackpot, Nevada. I don't think this hotel has even heard of the Internet, let alone provide high speed service. I'm on my Sprint Mobile Broad Band card, and only have 1 or 2 bars signal.

But that's par for the course for today. Day 5 started out perfect. Just perfect. I got up before sunrise and was on the road just as the sun was starting to peek over the mountains. I crossed the Idaho/Washington border 10 minutes after I left the motel and after about a half hour, I came upon some of the most spectacular scenery I've ever had the privilege of seeing. I have some good video to post later.

I climbed about 5,000 feet before it leveled off, and then I was riding the ridge of a mountain for 30 miles. The sun was just coming up and it was getting light. I stopped at a scenic turnout to take some pictures, and the silence was deafening. There was no traffic, no one around, no wind and no sound. Just perfect.

After I got started again, I saw several Mule Deer, and one crossing the road as I came around a curve. Got that on video! I remember seeing signs warning of open range cattle, but on top of the mountain???? Yep. Big old Brown Cow standing right on the side of the road. From a distance I thought it was a moose. Must have had something to do with the "Moose Crossing" sign that I passed a few miles beforehand. But, alas, no moose. Just a big ole Brown Cow. Hmmm, I think I'll head over to the restaurant and have a nice steak dinner in honor of that cow.

I noticed at a gas stop that I had lost a screw that holds my kickstand foot on. A kickstand foot is just an installed "puck" that increases the surface area of your kickstand so it won't sink into the hot asphalt. I don't have to remember to bring a puck or have to find a pop can to crush with this handy little device. Well, I didn't want to lose (Amy, notice I got it right this time!) it, so I decided to take it off. Damn. It's a STANDARD allen screw, not metric. Everything else on the Bavarian Machine is metric. Oh well.

As luck would have it, I pulled off the highway in Boise to get gas, and right there on the exit ramp I see a BMW motorcycle shop! WOO HOOO. I was able to get a new screw and didn't have to take it off. I also got a couple of BMW Boise T-shirts, one for me and one for Patricia. These, I put in my right saddle bag, which also contained my rain gear, thermal liner, tennis shoes and spare Helen Two Wheels bag.

The contents of the saddle bag are important for the next part of the narrative. Apparently, when I placed the T-shirts into the saddle bag, I failed to close it all the way. As I'm driving down the highway, a trucker shouts out his window to me. Of course, I can't hear anything, but I read his lips. "Hey DUMBASS! Your saddle bag is open!"

Remember the list of contents above? Everything except the Helen Two Wheels bag is gone. I can probably get alone without tennis shoes and just wear my riding boots. The rain gear...no way. With hurricane Gustov headed for the Gulf, I'm sure to run into rain sooner or later. And the liner. I know I'm starting to get into the south west, but altitude makes a huge difference in temperature. I've experienced that these last 5 days. So it looks like I'm going on a little shopping spree tomorrow.

Ok, enough for now. I'll post some pictures and video from today when I'm in Vegas tomorrow. I'll be sure to stay somewhere that has high speed Internet access.

Mileage for the day: 424
Mileage for the trip: 2844

6 comments:

Laurel said...

Dave, glad your having a good ride.
The scenery in the west is some of
the most beautiful I've ever seen. Guess you'll have to but Patricia
another shirt. Remember full tank,
empty bladder and bag check!!!

Anonymous said...

Dave,
sorry about your loss! Hate it when that happens. Great reports, love reading it all! Ride on tricked out, tacked up, serious biker guy :) Cathy H

Anonymous said...

Hey man sorry to here that you had a chance to do some redecorating in the northwest. Glad your having a great trip, but remember, take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints(or tire tracks) HAHAHAHa. Be safe my friend.

Kinae said...

So, your saddlebag catch was loose, making you lose some gear...

=)

Hopefully you find replacemnet gear you like as much or better than what you lost to the wind.

It's so great reading your chronicles.

Yay!

Anonymous said...

Darn Dave, sorry to hear about the most important contents of your saddlebag taking a flying leap while going down the X-way, nice of that truck driver to let you know and good thing you was able to read his lips eh? ;-)
I remember sprinkling I-696 with our ride flyers one year...I kept wondering what the heck was that fluttering sound and where the heck is it coming from? Looked everywhere but behind me! DUH!
Lesson # whatever, check saddlebags before leaving..

Ride safe Dave, give my home state (Cali) a wave for me, if it's not burnt to the ground yet that is...
“Keep it between the
Mustard and Mayo”

Anonymous said...

Dave, Sounds like you're having a great trip so far!! Sorry to hear about your saddle bag, but it happens to the best of us. I bet you won't be doing THAT again! LOL Like Laurel said, "full tank, empty bladder and bag check!"

I gotta admit I'm jealous of your trip. One day, when I grow up, I'm going to do that! LOL

Stay safe and keep us posted on your adventure! Katie