Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day Three



This morning, I started out in South Dakota. About an hour out, I ran into a small heard of Antelope. I saw several others during the course of the day as well.


I continued riding into North Dakota and Montana where I fought a 30 mph cross wind for a couple of hundred miles. It got a little easier when I turned off of I-90 onto US 212 and started up Bear Tooth Pass. I got a nice couple to take a picture of me at the observation pull off located at about 9200 feet.

The pass, at it's highest point is almost 11,000 feet. As you can see by these pictures, it was just a bit cool up there. When I was actually riding ABOVE the snow, I decided to check the temp. My bike's thermometer indicated 41 degrees. It was 82 at the start of the climb.

After I came down the West side of the pass, I entered Yellowstone Park. The scenery is out of this world. But I could do without the sulfur smell. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't ever have to see it again. I can cross Yellowstone off of my Bucket List. I stopped for the night in Livingston, MT. Total mileage for the day: 680

Total mileage for the trip so far: 2022.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, very special, i like it.

Anonymous said...

Looks pretty cool so far, in more ways than one.

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the bugs Dave, hate to see any of your film buggered up! Love the way you are keeping us posted and love the pics as well. Stay safe and keep the lens clean!! Scenery is awesome!
Luv Ya, Marie

VStarVickie said...

Dave, in every pic, you look like you are hell bent on a mission :) this is so cool, keeping up with your travels. Loved the bug thing too.

Vickie