Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Getting it up and running


On August 24, 2008 I will be headed out on a trip of a lifetime. I'll be riding my 2007 BMW K1200GT to all 48 continental states.

I still have a few weeks until departure, but I wanted to get my blog up and running before hand...just to make sure I know what I'm doing when it comes time to actually sit in a motel room after a long days ride and update my friends and family about my progress.

I will have a few "Farkles" on board that will help me document my trip for posterity. By the way, for those of you who don't know what a Farkle is, according to Wikipedia :
F.ancy
A.ccessory
R.eally
K.ool
L.ikely
E.xpensive
Here is a short list of Farkles that I already have or that will be arriving within the next week:
  1. Garmin Zumo 550 GPS with GXM antenna (Traffic and weather data)
  2. XM Satellite Radio
  3. MotoComm DSR-100 Motorcycle Helmet cam and digital recorder
  4. Piia Cross Country HID driving lights
  5. Star Comm GPS tracker
Once I get everything installed and the bike is packed, I'll make sure to include more photos of my Farkles.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is NOT my fault.

But for those of you who have not seen The Bucket List, it's a great movie, and it got Dave to go for a 3 week ride, so he must have though so too.
Patricia

Laurel said...

It's a great movie, and certainly gets you to thinking about how busy our lives can get. Stop and smell the roses along the way Dave. It does sound like the trip of a lifetime. Ride safe and enjoy your ride. Laurel

Jean said...

You Go Guy! Jean

Anonymous said...

Sounds AWESOME Dave!!!! Have a wonderful and SAFE trip. We'll be looking for postings :-)

The headcam is a great thing. Steve and I just got back from our trip, there were sooo many times I wish I had a passenger (or a headcam) to take pics on the roads I couldn't stop on to get one.

Natalie

VStarVickie said...

didn't see the movie, but we want pics of those FARKLES!!! don't know what it is, but we want it. Please, no pics of it upside down in the mud :)

Have a great, safe trip, see you when you get home ... we know what you looked like the night before you left :)
Jim and Vickie

Anonymous said...

Dave,
I'm so with you in spirit...Tracy